Skip to main content
Bass Chapel United Methodist Church
Historical Narrative (2025 Revision)
Earlier historical accounts identified 1875 as the founding year of Bass Chapel Church, naming Rev. C. W. Blaylock as its first minister. Ongoing research in conference archives, together with the discovery of an original handwritten archival document found in the former church building, has revealed evidence of organized Methodist Episcopal activity in the Bass Chapel community beginning nearly a decade earlier than previously recorded.
Early Methodist Activity (1866–1876)
The earliest documented origins of Bass Chapel Church trace to class meetings held in the Center Grove Township area of Guilford County as early as November 1866. A handwritten notepad discovered in the former church building located at 5064 Bass Chapel Road provides primary-source documentation of these early gatherings.
An entry dated October 20, 1869, identifies Hardy Pleasant and Branson Kirkpatrick as class leaders, with Milton Bass, Aaron Gorrell, and Lewis Lindsay serving as stewards. The notepad records seven class meetings conducted during 1869. A subsequent entry dated March 7, 1870, notes the collection of funds for the support of Pastor Champlin, a Methodist Episcopal minister. Although conference records indicate that Rev. Champlin’s official appointment to the area did not begin until 1871, this entry strongly suggests that ministerial oversight and organized worship were already established prior to formal conference assignment.
The notepad further identifies Rev. L. B. Gibson as pastor in charge on June 9, 1872, and records Branson Kirkpatrick as a class leader for a meeting held in February 1873. The final church-related entry in the document dates to 1876 and appears to reference financial matters. Additionally, the notepad contains entries recording three births in 1881, 1882, and 1884, indicating its continued use within the church community. The document does not specify the physical locations at which these early meetings were held.
Establishment of the Church Property
While the precise date of Bass Chapel’s organization as an officially recognized Methodist Episcopal congregation remains undetermined, available evidence suggests that construction of the first church structure likely began during Rev. Blaylock’s tenure, between 1877 and 1879. The land upon which the church was established was acquired from Mr. Milton Bass through the efforts of Mr. John McKnight, Mr. James McAdoo, Mr. Preston Rankin, Mr. Calvin Gorrell, Mr. Leven Davis, Mr. Henry Davis, and other committed members of the community.
Although construction of a small church building was initiated on this site, it was never fully completed. To date, the deed transferring the land from Mr. Milton Bass to the church has not been located. Mr. Bass appears repeatedly in early class lists and is identified on at least one occasion as a steward, confirming his significant involvement in the church’s early development.
Growth and Improvements (1900–1949)
Conference records between 1880 and 1892 do not specifically identify ministers serving Bass Chapel. However, the 1900 Conference Minutes state, “A new church has been built at Bass’s and it is nicely painted,” during the pastorate of Rev. R. D. Bethea. Subsequent conference and district records document continued improvement to the property and facilities:
-
1906 – Installation of a well on the church grounds
1908 – District reports note further improvements at Bass’s
-
1909 – Under Rev. A. W. McMaster, construction of a tower and the purchase and full payment of a large bell
Under the leadership of Rev. J. A. Laughlin in 1911, Bass Chapel underwent expansion and experienced a significant revival. The church hosted the Epworth League Sunday School Convention from July 14–19, 1914, reflecting its growing prominence within the district.
Expansion and Modernization (1929–1962)
During the pastorate of Rev. J. W. Shuford construction began in 1929 on a modern brick church with cathedral windows. The 1930 Conference Record acknowledged this progress, stating, “A large brick veneered church is far on the way to completion,” and predicting that upon completion it would become “the best country church in the entire Conference.” Membership increased substantially during this period.
In 1941, under Rev. W. T. Lomax, a recreational building, was erected to support church and community activities. Further improvements occurred in 1949 during the pastorate of Rev. Eugene Black, including repairs to the sanctuary, installation of a furnace, enlargement of the choir stand, and acquisition of a new organ.
In 1962, under Rev. Belvin Jessup, an educational wing was constructed, providing classrooms, restrooms, a kitchen, a fellowship hall, and a pastor’s study. Renovations to the sanctuary were also completed at this time.
Relocation and Contemporary History (1996–Present)
A major transition occurred in 1996 during the pastorate of Rev. Larry E. Fitzgerald, with the construction of a new church building. On September 15, 1996, the congregation formally processed from 5064 Bass Chapel Road to 5075 Bass Chapel Road for the 11:00 a.m. worship service in the new sanctuary. During this relocation, the historic notepad documenting the church’s earliest years was discovered in the former building.
In 2011, Rev. Donald E. McCoy was appointed pastor. His tenure was marked by faithful leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic, during which he sustained congregational life through teleconferences, recorded sermons shared via social media, socially distanced outdoor worship services, and the establishment of a digital archive of Sunday messages.
In 2020, Rev. Tamara (Tammy) M. Ingram assumed pastoral leadership. Her ministry was characterized by strong biblical preaching, compassionate pastoral care, and effective leadership during the ongoing challenges of the pandemic. Worship services were conducted in person, outdoors, and through teleconference, Facebook, and YouTube, ensuring continuity of ministry under all circumstances.
In 2025, Bass Chapel Church welcomed Rev. Dr. Kim Troy-Richardson as pastor. She began her ministry with a sermon series entitled “God’s Promises” and now leads the congregation as it continues its mission and ministry in faithfulness to God’s calling.
Below is a list of pastors who served Bass Chapel, along with the years of their service:
1866: None Listed
1867: Hardy Pleasant and Branson Kirkpatrick (class leaders for the October 20 meeting)
1869: (Meeting dates for March 14, May 8, July 4, August 1, September 5, September 20, November 28 - Pastors not listed)
1870 and 1871: Rev. John E. Champlin
1872: L. B. Gibson
1876: Rev. J. Payne
1877: Rev. C. W. Blaylock
1888: L.B. Gibson
1892: Rev. George F. Hill
1894: Rev. S. L. Johnson
1896: Rev. Ben F. Thomas
1900: Rev. R. D. Bethea
1905: Rev. A. W. McMaster
1907: Rev. David C. Skeen
1910: Rev. J. A. Laughlin
1916: Rev. G. W. Byers
1919: Rev. W. B. Zeigler
1924: Rev. P. I. Wells
1926: Rev. P. F. Johnson
1927: Rev. J. W. Shuford
1935: J. B. Meekins
1936: Rev. T. H. Wooten
1937: Rev. M. M. Patrick
1938: Rev. J. H. Ledwell
1939: Rev. T. C. Frazier
1941: Rev. W. T. Lomax
1949: Rev. Eugene Black
1959: Rev. W. E. Tyler
1960: Rev. Liston Sellers Jr.
1962: Rev. Belvin Jessup
1967: Rev. John W. Jones
1974: Rev. William Royster, Rev. David Harkness, Rev. D. J. Hughes
1976: Rev. Cornelius Holland
1982: Rev. Paul Milton
1988: Rev. Peter Addo
1991: Rev. Diane Jones
1992: Rev. Larry E. Fitzgerald
2011: Rev. Donald E. McCoy
2020: Rev. Tamara M. Ingram
2025: Rev. Dr. Kim Troy-Richardson